Marcellus Schaffer (Walker River Paiute Tribe) selected to U-18 USA baseball team
August 15, 2018
FALLON, Nev. — Marcellus Schaffer (Walker River Paiute Tribe), of Schurz, Nevada, was selected this winter as a pitcher to the USA 18-under baseball team that was scheduled to compete in the Latin American Baseball Classic in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, on Aug 1-7.
Schaffer, 17, formerly a student at Yerington High School, is an incoming senior for the 2018-19 school year at Churchill County High School in Fallon, Nevada.
His parents are Gina-Marie Dini (also of the Walker River Paiute Tribe, of Schurz), and Joseph Fanjul of Oakland, California. His siblings are little sister, Xavia, and little brother, Joey Jr.
According to an email from his parents, Schaffer's goal is to play college baseball and eventually make it to the Major Leagues. Further, if baseball doesn't pan out, Schaffer would like to join the U.S. Navy.
Schaffer has been playing baseball since the age of 5. In addition to playing high school baseball at YHS, and this upcoming season at CCHS, Schaffer plays with the Mavericks travel baseball club. Go to bit.ly/2OPDetd to read his recruiting profile
Trending In: Features
- Native athletes in the news: NY Yankees draft Anthony Seigler (Navajo)
- Nevada natives: Know your tribal identification rights
- Photo Gallery: 2018 Earl Dunn Memorial Basketball Tournament
- PHOTOS: 12th annual Nevada Urban Indians Diabetes Health Fair and Powwow
- Climate change, overfishing push California abalone to low numbers